A higher standard of sound
The TX-RZ740 not only elevates sound, but also that satisfied feeling you get every time you switch it on. The extra weight of the custom transformer, custom 10,000 μF capacitors, and aluminum heat-sink speak of an amp built for high-current power, enabling 3D audio to exhibit true-to-life spatiality and pin-point localization. Bass force is terrific, dynamics blindingly fast, and resolution grainless. Next-Generation Network Audio gathers multi-room platforms supported by 802.11ac*1 Wi-Fi®, or enjoy powered and unpowered audio distribution. The receiver, which supports up to 7.2.4-ch of 3D sound with external amp, is certified for IMAX® Enhanced*2 and is THX® Certified Select™ for a theater-reference experience. From how it sounds to the way it makes you feel, the TX-RZ740 is made to savor now and in the future.
*1 Some countries or regions have regulations that affect wireless signal strength and the use of Wi-Fi channels.
*2 Enabled with a future firmware update.
Experience IMAX® Enhanced
IMAX Enhanced* A/V receivers feature DTS:X sound technology optimized for the IMAX® signature experience, reproducing the full dynamic range of IMAX theatrical sound-mixes available with digitally re-mastered IMAX Enhanced content. A pre-set IMAX Mode reproduces audio at the highest levels and delivers lMAX Enhanced content as the filmmakers intended. IMAX Enhanced versions of a range of films, from Hollywood blockbusters to documentaries, will be released for 4K HDR streaming and Ultra HD Blu-ray™.
* Enabled with a future firmware update.
THX® Certified Select™ theater-reference sound
THX Certified Select guarantees the same reference volume level of a commercial theater in rooms where the viewing position is about 3.5 m from the screen. To gain certification for reference sound within strict THX® sound-quality parameters, receivers must pass 2,000 bench-tests in 75 categories covering 14,000 data points.
Dolby Atmos® and DTS:X®
Dolby Atmos and DTS:X formats map sounds in 3D space, allowing them to move around the room and immersing your audience in the film. With 11.2-ch pre-outs and 11-ch processing, you can enjoy 3D sound through a 7.2.4 layout (external power amp required), or use built-in amps for a 5.2.4 or 7.2.2 layout. Enjoy classic titles through your height-enabled speaker system with Dolby Surround® and DTS® Neural:X finding cues in legacy soundtracks and upmixing for spatial playback.
Dolby Atmos Height Virtualizer
When playing any Dolby® format, engaging Dolby Atmos Height Virtualizer* enables a more immersive listening experience, creating a virtual surround and height effect from traditional speaker layouts without employing additional speakers.
* Enabled with a future firmware update.
Dynamic Audio Amplification with RZ Series Build
DAA stabilizes power delivery for accurate speaker control and spectacular dynamics. High-Current Low-Noise Power Transformer and 10,000 μF custom high-current smoothing capacitors deliver power instantly while non-phase-shift amps reproduce a wide 5 Hz–100 kHz spectrum. An extruded aluminum heat-sink controls the pitch of resonance frequencies, limiting mechanical noise. Behind the front panel are hand-selected or custom fabricated parts with digital boards separate from analog circuitry. The result is visceral musicality that makes every note an emotionally moving experience.
New upgrades reduce noise and boost power
Additional refinements control noise, boost power, and improve S/N performance. A new HDMI® board has shorter signal-paths and large, well-finished grounds for A/V signal integrity. SoC is isolated to reduce interference noise. The power-supply line is reinforced in pursuit of smooth power delivery. These contribute to punchier bass and improved localization on an expanded soundstage.
Next-Generation Network Audio makes multi-room easy
Access streaming content from Amazon Music, Spotify®, TIDAL, Deezer, and TuneIn*1 and share network audio around your home as part of a multi-room system via Works with Sonos, Chromecast built-in*2, AirPlay 2, DTS Play-Fi®, and FlareConnect™.
*1 Amazon Music which is integrated in this product is only available in U.S., U.K., Germany, Spain, Italy, France, and Japan. Also, available services may differ depending on your area.
*2 The unit may automatically download and apply an Over-the-Air software update during setup.
Works with Sonos
The TX-RZ740 can join your existing Sonos Home Sound System, or be the start of a new one, just by pairing it with a Sonos Connect*. The AVR ties into the Sonos ecosystem, waking, changing inputs, and playing at the desired volume on command from the Sonos app*.
* Sonos Connect sold separately. Sonos app is available free for iPad, iPhone, and Android™ at the App Store and Google Play. Please confirm device and OS compatibility before installation.
Chromecast built-in with the Google Assistant
Stream any music from your smartphone, laptop, or PC to the receiver with ease. Control playback with Chromecast-enabled apps you know and love from your iPhone, iPad, Android phone or tablet, Mac or Windows® laptop, or Chromebook. If you have a smart speaker featuring the Google Assistant, you can cue, play, and control music playback by voice.
* Google Home is sold separately.
* The unit may automatically download and apply an Over-the-Air software update during setup.
Google, Google Home, Android, Google Play, Chromecast built-in and other related marks and logos are trademarks of Google LLC.
Whole home audio: just add speakers
Orchestrate audio playback in up to three rooms at once using the Onkyo Controller app. The TX-RZ740 has two extra DACs to distribute unique or synced D/A audio sources via Zone 2 and Zone 3 speaker outputs, including HDMI®/SPDIF/NET/Bluetooth®. With nine amps, you can enjoy a 5.2.2-ch layout in Main with powered Zone 2 audio, or a 5.2-ch surround system in Main with powered audio distribution to Zone 2 and Zone 3.
Note: HDMI and SPDIF support PCM audio only. Zone 2 HDMI audio available on inputs 1–3. Zone 3 supports analog/NET/Bluetooth.
Quad-core SoC supports 802.11ac Wi-Fi®
A powerful SoC (System on a Chip) processes multiple tasks at once. It evolves network functions with support for high-speed 802.11ac (2x2 MIMO) specification while compatible with 802.11b/g/n dual-band routers.
Note: Some countries or regions have regulations that affect wireless signal strength and the use of Wi-Fi channels.
Versatile Zone 2/Zone B line-out
Connect your supported hi-fi system via analog RCA input to the AVR’s Zone 2/Zone B line-out. In Zone 2 mode, you can play the same or different analog/digital sources (including SPDIF and HDMI) in either or both rooms at the same time. Zone B mode is an ideal match for a supported wireless transmitter. Listen to any source through wireless headphones for disruption-free late-night TV entertainment.
Clarify voice dialog in-program instantly
Vocal Enhancer solves inaudible dialog in TV programs and movies. DSP technology identifies voice frequencies so you can conveniently adjust them using remote-control keys or controls on the front panel.
AccuEQ Advance with AccuReflex™
AccuEQ Advance room acoustic calibration uses nine-point mic measurement to calibrate and EQ speakers and subwoofers and remove standing waves that arise when sound from the speakers resonates with sound reflecting off the walls, compromising its proper expression. During the process, background noise is ignored to ensure accurate equalization. AccuReflex optimizes 3D sound through height speakers by resolving phase-shift, resulting in a cohesive sound-field.
Mini-Site: AccuEQ Room AcousticCalibration Solutions
Connections for custom installation
The TX-RZ740 features a 12 V trigger output for an external component and an IR input for remote-control range extension. It supports IP control, RS-232C, and OSD output for custom installers. An optional rack-mount kit is also available.
Roon transforms your music-browsing experience. Artist photos, reviews, lyrics, and more connect in a surfable magazine about your collection. Links between your files and music on TIDAL guide new discoveries. Roon is a multi-room platform supporting bit-perfect playback, DSD and PCM upsampling, multichannel playback, and Signal Path Display. It plays to Roon Ready, AirPlay, Sonos, and Meridian enabled devices controlled from Mac, Windows, iPhone, iPad, and Android. Certified under the Roon Tested program, the TX-RZ740 appears in Signal Path Display and Zone Selector; is identified by logos; and has links to product documentation.
- 185 W/Ch THX® Certified Select™ RZ Series DAA system
- Works with Sonos, Chromecast built-in*1, AirPlay 2, DTS Play-Fi®, FlareConnect™*2, Spotify®, Amazon Music, TIDAL, Deezer, TuneIn*3
- Supports 5.2.4-ch Dolby Atmos® and DTS:X® playback
- 11.2-ch pre-outs and processing for 7.2.4 layouts
- Dolby Atmos Height Virtualizer*4
- IMAX® Enhanced*4 certified for IMAX® digital remasters
- Refined HDMI® grounds, SoC board, and power amps
- HDMI Sub/Zone 2 output*5 for a sub-display or projector
- Quad-core SoC supports 802.11ac (2x2 MIMO) Wi-Fi®*6
- Zone 2 and Zone 3 speaker outputs
- Zone 2 and Zone 3 DACs for D/A audio in three rooms
- Zone 2/Zone B and Zone 3 line-outs share D/A audio
- Stereo Assign Mode supports Height-channel playback
- DSP-based Vocal Enhancer improves dialog audibility
- OSD features media input/output data display function
- HDMI supports 4K/60p, 4K HDR, BT.2020, HDCP 2.3*7
- AccuEQ Advance 9-point calibration with AccuReflex™
- Volume memory-presets for A/V inputs via front panel
- IP control, RS-232C, 12 V trigger output, and IR port
- Certified for IMAX Enhanced and THX Certified Select
- Dynamic Audio Amplification with RZ Series Build
- Ultra-wide 5 Hz–100 kHz frequency response
- Custom-Built High-Current Low-Noise Power Transformer
- Custom high-current smoothing capacitors
- Non-phase-shift amp topology with discrete output stage
- Thick resonance-controlled extruded aluminum heat-sink
- Strengthened power-supply line for high-current dynamics
- Refined HDMI grounds and short signal-paths reduce noise
- Isolated SoC board reduces interference
- High current capability for 4-ohm speaker drive
- AKM (AK4458) 384 kHz/32-bit multichannel D/A conversion
- VLSC™ (Vector Linear Shaping Circuitry) noise filtering (Front L/R)
- PLL (Phase Locked Loop) anti-jitter technology for SPDIF audio
- Direct and Pure Audio modes for source-authentic expression
- Independent tone controls (bass/treble) for all channels (Zone 3 excluded)
VIDEO & AUDIO SUPPORT
- Supports HDCP 2.3, 4K/60p, HDR (Dolby Vision™, HDR10, HLG), BT.2020, 4:4:4/24-bit, 3D Video, ARC (Audio Return Channel), DeepColor™, x.v.Color, and LipSync via HDMI
- Dolby Atmos, DTS:X, Dolby® TrueHD, and DTS-HD Master Audio®
- Dolby Atmos Height Virtualizer 3D processing
- Dolby Surround® and DTS® Neural:X upmixing technology
- IMAX Mode for IMAX Enhanced content
- THX® listening modes for movies, music, and games
- Sound optimization for games (Rock, Sports, Action, and RPG)
- Theater-Dimensional virtual surround-sound function
- Next-Generation Network Audio supports multi-room streaming and Onkyo Controller*8
- Works with Sonos for the Sonos Home Sound System*9
- Chromecast built-in and voice control*10 with the Google Assistant
- AirPlay 2 multi-room audio and voice control*11 with Siri
- DTS Play-Fi multi-room audio via Onkyo Music Control App*8
- FlareConnect multi-zone audio with compatible components
- Quad-core SoC supports high-speed 802.11ac (2x2 MIMO) Wi-Fi
- Hi-Res Audio playback via network (DSD 11.2 MHz/5.6 MHz/ 2.8 MHz*12; FLAC, WAV [RIFF], AIFF, and ALAC to 192 kHz/24-bit*13)
- 7 HDMI inputs (1 front), 2 outputs (Main [ARC], Sub/Zone 2)
- 1 component video input (assignable)
- 2 composite video inputs (assignable)
- 2 digital audio inputs (optical and coaxial, assignable)
- 6 analog RCA inputs (assignable)
- 3.5 mm mini-stereo analog input (front)
- 1 phono input with built-in MM equalizer for turntable
- 3.5 mm setup mic input for AccuEQ Advance (front)
- 6.35 mm headphone jack (front)
- 11.2-channel pre-outs including Zone 3 pre-/line-out (Analog RCA)
- Zone 2/Zone B analog RCA line-level outputs
- 9 screw-type speaker posts (including Zone 2)
- Bi-directional Ethernet terminal for network and IP control
- USB input (5 V/1 A) for audio playback (rear)
- RS-232C serial input for remote control
- IR (infrared) input for remote-control extenders
- 12 V trigger output (Main, assignable, 100 mA)
- AC socket for detachable IEC power cord
- AccuEQ Advance 9-point calibration with AccuReflex™
- Bluetooth® wireless technology
- Advanced Music Optimizer™ improves compressed audio playback
- Zone 2 and Zone 3 speaker outputs with Zone 2 and Zone 3 DACs play synced or unique D/A sources simultaneously (including HDMI/SPDIF*14)
- Zone 2 line-out mode connects audio systems for independent D/A playback (including HDMI/SPDIF*15) in two rooms
- Zone B line-out mode supports transmitter connection for wireless headphones*16
- Zone 2 and Zone 3 line-outs support simultaneous output*14
- Front-to-Height speaker-switching in Stereo Assign Mode for BGM
- 1080p to 4K Super Resolution upscaling via HDMI
- GUI with overlaid OSD via HDMI featuring media input/output display
- Crossover adjustment for each channel (40 ⁄ 50 ⁄ 60 ⁄ 70 ⁄ 80 ⁄ 90 ⁄ 100 ⁄ 120 ⁄ 150 ⁄ 180 ⁄ 200 Hz)
- A/V Sync Control (up to 500 ms in 5 ms steps at 48 kHz)
- Various efficient standby modes and HDMI pass-through
- Optional rack-mounting kit (IRK-155-3D)
- IP control for home automation, SmartGrid-ready
- 3-Mode display dimmer (Normal/Dim/Dimmer)
- 40 FM/AM random presets
- Redesigned simple remote control
- Power Output: 185 W/Ch (6 ohms, 1 kHz, 10% THD, 1 channel driven), 175 W/Ch (6 ohms, 1 kHz, 1% THD, 1 channel driven, IEC)
- Frequency Response: 5 Hz–100 kHz/+1 dB, -3 dB (Direct Mode)
- Dimensions (W x H x D): 435 x 177 x 379.5 mm
- Weight: 10.8 kg